Zucchini (Courgette) Bread
Tired of Banana Bread? Want to have fun with zucchini? Try Zucchini Bread!
Seriously though, this is a lovely bake. It’s an adapted and modified recipe from Rachel Allen’s Bake, which is a fantastic cookbook. It’s a sweet (but not too sweet) bake worthy of this beautiful squash, and is perfect with a good cup of tea. This loaf can also be toasted under the grill (broiler) and buttered (particularly on the day after baking).
This recipe uses ground flaxseed and water as the egg substitute. The rule of thumb for this substitution is 1 Tablespoon of ground flaxseed + 3 Tablespoons of water = 1 egg.
I’ve used both pecans and walnuts in this and both are delightful. Though they can be omitted if you prefer.
If you want to lighten the spice impact, I would suggest keeping the cinnamon and omitting the nutmeg and cloves.
8 -10 slices
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
150g caster sugar
50g dark soft brown sugar
100ml sunflower oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds mixed with 4 1/2 tablespoons water
200g zucchini, grated (with skin on) – about 1 large zucchini
50g walnuts (or pecans), chopped
2 lb loaf tin
- Preheat the oven to 190*C and prepare a 2 lb loaf tin (either by greasing it or using a liner).
- In a large bowl add the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt, and all the spices. Stir to mix and create a well in the centre of these dry ingredients.
- In another bowl mix the sugars and oil. Add the vanilla extract and flaxseed mixture and mix to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients in to the well of the dry ingredients. Add the zucchini and nuts and mix everything till just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and press it in to fill the tin.
- Bake for 50 minutes, testing after 40 minutes. If it looks like it is starting to brown too much then cover with foil for the remaining bake time.
- Once cooked and removed from the oven, leave the loaf in the tin for ten minutes. Then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.